Because of COVID, 4-H CANSKI will have to adapt to the following changes for the 2021 season:
- There will be no group transportation. As a result, our schedule will focus on weekends when parents or guardians can drive skiers to the trailheads.
- We are hoping that parents who are driving can help us respond to a need for more coach/leaders to accommodate small group sizes.
- We will ski in groups of 8 or less with buffs while skiing and masks when talking.
- While skiing we will try to maintain a 6ft physical distance.
- We may not have access to reliable indoor warming areas available for skiers so skiers will need to come prepared with extra layers for the start and finish.
To help us get everyone organized into small groups and prepare for the Jan 9th gear check out please take a minute to register ASAP. Here is what you need to do to be able to enroll and check out equipment for the season.
- Go to 4-H online and register as a member of 4-H CANSKI https://v2.4honline.com/#/user/sign-in
- ONLINE PAYMENT: Go to this dedicated website, answer all the questions and then select the Individual o Family Equipment rental and then proceed to the check out for payment.
Scholarships are still available for members and families that need them, just contact Doug Liphart or Ian Meeker and you will be sent a code for registration payment.
Once you have registered and paid you will be assigned a gear check out time on Jan 9th for your family to come to the former VFW building in Washburn near the Marina. An email confirming your check out time and the updated information about the season will be sent to you.
The 2020-21 4-H CANSKI membership will come with a custom designed pom hat (1/member; 2/family) and we’ll have a few extras on hand to sell to sell to families who would like more than 2.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at the Ashland or Bayfield County Extension 4-H office!
Club membership benefits include:
- Discounted season passes to Mt. Ashwabay, and free use of Mt. Ashwabay trails for scheduled 4H-CANSKI events.
- Opportunity to support youth skiing and youth development
- Excellent coaching and teaching on a regular basis (including 2 ex-NCAA coaches, 1 former state high school championship coach, 3 coaches who have extensive work with community ski programs)
- Opportunities to ski socially on a weekly basis
- Individualized training plans for those who want them
- Wax and waxing equipment for training and racing + wax advice and clinics
- Off season opportunities for training and adventure activities and access to equipment
- A voice in local planning that involves xc skiing interests
- CANSKI supports all of the local trails associations and has members who groom at most of them
- Member discounts on cross country ski equipment at two local cross country ski shops
- Access to CXC and Community Olympic Development coaching